HOWARD COUNTY, Ind. (WLFI) — In a News 18 update, police say they continue to investigate the alleged kidnapping of a Kokomo girl who was found safe in Indianapolis.
Police say 8-year-old Ja'layia Williams was found along with her biological mother, 29-year-old Sherica Wizzard, who does not have custody rights.
Wizzard is accused of taking the girl around eight o'clock Monday night from a Kokomo IHOP.
The father says he went to the restaurant to confront Wizzard for taking the girl without permission.
Wizzard allegedly ran across the street to a gas station, got into a white Pontiac with the girl and headed north on State Road 931.
The girl's father told police that he had full custody of the girl, but had recently allowed Wizzard to spend time with her.
An Amber Alert was never issued as police said the criteria for one had not been met.
- Missing girls from Carroll County found safe
- Two Indy teens sentenced for Indy crime spree
- Musical ‘Hamilton’ coming to Indy
- Thomas Rhett coming to Indy
- Kokomo man found guilty in Lafayette armed burglary case
- Missing Lafayette woman found safe
- Will Power wins first career Indy 500
- Kokomo police investigate local credit card fraud
- Kokomo teen dies in Miami Co. crash
- Kokomo police searching for rape suspect