LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) — Tippecanoe County Prosecutor Patrick Harrington has a new Chief Deputy.
Jason Biss is replacing Kristen McVey, who recently left the office to serve as Judge for Tippecanoe Superior Court Five. Working your way up in this office is a goal for many.
Fresh out of law school, Jason Biss started as an intern with the Tippecanoe County Prosecutor's Office.
"When I passed [the bar exam], I was hired by Pat and I've been an attorney ever since then," said Biss.
Twelve years later, Biss gets to work side by side with the man who gave him a shot. He's excited to mentor others as Chief Deputy Prosecutor.
"I feel like I interact well with these young attorneys," said Biss. "Over the course of at least the next four and a half years, hopefully longer, I will learn a lot from them and hopefully, they'll learn a lot from me as well."
Biss is humble, but ready for the challenge.
"Over the course of the last 12 years, I have handled all aspects of the office," said Biss. "So, I believe I'm well-prepared to take on this new position."
Starting out in the lower courts, Biss worked his way up to managing Grand Jury investigations and supervising the Major Felony Intake department. He's the current chair of Tippecanoe County's Child Fatality and Drug Overdose Fatality Review Teams.
Biss is also on-call to review and request after hour search warrants.
"Obviously, this is an intense office," said Biss. "We work under a lot of pressure and under deadlines. At the same time, it's a fun place to work because we do have a lot of very young, talented attorneys in our office who work around the clock to help keep our community safe."
Biss said former Chief Deputy Prosecutor Kristen McVey is one of his role models.
"She left big shoes to fill and I will think about that every day I walk into this office," said Biss.
As a Lafayette Jeff graduate, Biss believes his love for Tippecanoe County will get him to where he needs to be.
"I grew up in this town, I love this community," said Biss. "It's a unique, diverse place and I will work hard day and night to help keep our community safe and keep it being a wonderful place to live."
Biss graduated from Creighton University School of Law and has specialized training in white-collar crime and child forensic interviewing.
- Jason Biss named Tippecanoe Co. Chief Deputy Prosecutor
- Tippecanoe Co. chief deputy prosecutor appointed as judge
- Tippecanoe County Sheriff's Office welcomes new Chief Deputy
- Republican Jason Dombkowski files candidacy for Tippecanoe County Sheriff
- Tippecanoe County Primary Sheriff and Prosecutor Debate
- Tippecanoe Co. Prosecutor candidates' final plea
- Former Tippecanoe Co. Prosecutor candidate's blooper reel
- Jason Dombkowski unsure of his future as WL Police Chief
- New prosecutor named in Carroll County
- Tippecanoe Co. Prosecutor discusses opposition to legalizing medical marijuana