Freezing rain & some sleet & flakes are possible this afternoon with some minor ice accumulation. Watch for slick areas on roadways, especially north of an Attica to Greater Lafayette to Peru line. Winter Weather Advisory is up for northwestern & northern counties currently.
It should go to all rain this evening & last through tonight.
Rain should end as brief snow tomorrow near midday.
Lots of ponding on frozen ground & roadways is likely tonight-early tomorrow as 0.60-1.20" of rainfall could occur total (includes freezing rain, mix today).
At this point it appears that the cold air will not catch up to the deep moisture, so any accumulation would be localized & 0.5" or less.
As temperatures fall tomorrow to 20-25 by late day, water on ice-covered secondary roads, sidewalks, driveways, etc. will freeze. This, with a bit of snow, will result in some slicks areas on these surfaces.
Wave of light snow is likely Thursday midday-afternoon. 1" or less is possible with that.
Wind gusts so far have run 20-31 mph. There are some question now as to how much wind energy can make it to the ground tonight. Winds will be howling at 2500', but inversion may inhibit the transport of those higher gusts down to the surface. The short range data differs greatly on how much wind momentum can make it to the surface.
This said, will go with 30-40 mph gusts tonight with potential of some gusts exceeding 40 mph.
A parade of Alberta Clippers is ahead. Each will bring some accumulating snow & gusty winds.
One is likely Saturday with snow, another Monday with some snow & even bit of icy mix, depending on the exact track. Another could even occur Wednesday of next week.
- January 22, 12:30 PM Weather Forecast Update
- January 22, 10:30 PM Weather Forecast Update
- January 22, 5 PM Weather Forecast Update: Very Active!
- November 22, 7 PM Weather Forecast Update
- December 22, 11 PM Weather Forecast Update
- May 22, 1 PM Weather Forecast Update
- May 22, 11 PM Weather Forecast Update
- January 16 Weather Forecast Update, 12:30 p.m.
- January 25, 12:30 PM Weather Forecast Update
- January 2, 2 PM Weather Forecast Update