FRANKFORT, Ind. (WFLI) — The Clinton County Sheriff's Office is sending some holiday cheer to soldiers overseas.
Jail staff and inmates spent Monday morning preparing care packages for the soldiers. Letters written from local children were packed into the bag, along with toiletries, nonperishable foods and decks of playing cards.
Matron Ashley Kelly says the event gives the inmates an opportunity to use their time at the jail in a positive way.
"It's a great community service project for our inmates to help us out with, and for the soldiers overseas receiving them," said Kelly. "I hope it's a little bit of home, and it brightens their day."
This is the first year for the event. Kelly said she hopes to make it an annual event with the inmates.
- Jail inmates help send holiday packages to soldiers overseas
- Tippecanoe County inmates and jail staff get Christmas care packages
- National Guard sends soldiers to duty
- Nearly 5K letters collected to send to deployed soldiers this holiday season
- Jail inmate faces charges for allegedly slicing another inmate's throat
- Three inmates escape from Tennessee jail
- Authorities investigate Tippecanoe County Jail inmate's death
- Tippecanoe County Jail scans more than inmates
- Jail inmate found guilty of attempted murder
- Jail inmate sentenced for attempted murder