WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) — The New England Patriots selected Purdue linebacker Ja'Whaun Bentley on Saturday in the 5th round of the NFL Draft.
Bentley was Purdue's leading tackler in 2017 with 97. He was also second on the team in tackles for loss, with 11.5.
Bentley was recently named Purdue's most outstanding player for the 2017 season, by the coaching staff.
He joins former Boilermaker Jason King on the Patriots roster. King is on the practice squad.
The selection marks the 21st consecutive year a Purdue player has been taken in the NFL Draft.
- Ja'Whaun Bentley drafted by Patriots
- Patriots, Eagles to square off in Super Bowl 52
- Foles, Eagles outshoot Patriots for 1st Super Bowl, 41-33
- Fall Camp Frenzy: Seeger Patriots optimistic about next step
- Holcomb directs flags to half-staff for Patriots Day
- Patriots beat Rams 13-3 in lowest scoring Super Bowl ever
- Bears draft Georgia LB Roquan Smith with No. 8 pick in draft
- Indiana's Juwan Morgan declares for draft, not hiring agent
- Purdue's Nojel Eastern declares for draft, not hiring agent
- Jacson McGowan drafted in 11th round by Rays