WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) — Students from Ivy Tech Community College Lafayette received their diplomas Sunday. Many students went through the ceremony with mixed emotions including Alice Morrell.
"Nerve-racking, very nerve-racking," said Morrell.
Morrell and Earma Lovett are just a few of the nearly 300 graduates who took an unconventional route to receiving a degree.
"I turned 50 on the ninth of April and I was in the military and raised my kids and I decided it was time to do something for me," said Morrell.
"I used to be a paramedic in the military and so I always knew that I wanted to help in service to people," said Lovett.
Morrell and Lovett have big plans for their degrees.
"Actually I want to start my own business and I want to go into costuming and historical clothing," said Morrell.
The two graduates are driven by lifelong passions.
"My ultimate goal in life is to establish my own youth facility with youth services for at-risk youth," said Lovett.
Those are just a few of the adventures commencement speaker Kathy Vernon hopes they endlessly pursue.
"I just want them to go out and use their education, remember their time at Ivy Tech and go out and find their passion," said Vernon.
While the graduates get ready to take their next steps, they reflected on their experience at Ivy Tech.
"I'm just grateful," said Lovett. "That's what today has been — just overwhelmed with grateful and joy."
"It's kind of special, makes you feel good," said Morrell.
The commencement was held at Elliott Hall of Music on Purdue University's campus.
- Ivy Tech Lafayette students celebrate 2018 commencement
- Ivy Tech Community College in Lafayette celebrates a big birthday
- Ivy Tech educating addiction counselors
- Ivy Tech Lafayette closed until at least 1 p.m. Wednesday
- Drug Take Back at Lafayette Ivy Tech Community College
- Tippecanoe County Schools celebrate winter commencement
- Ivy Tech Week of Service Kicks Off
- West Lafayette celebrates class of 2018
- Lafayette celebrates Indian culture
- Ivy Tech hosts annual Shoes for Water drive this week