LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) — Students, alumni and board members celebrated the 50th anniversary of Ivy Tech Community College in Lafayette.
The school was originally named Tippewa Technical Institute.
Seventeen kids were first enrolled when the school opened. Last year 4,000 students enrolled.
A current student and member of student government says this school was her perfect fit.
She says Ivy Tech built the road for her future.
"Education is a pathway to just be able to earn a living for myself and to be able to support my family and at the same time it adds a great benefit to the community because I become an asset to the community," said Wendy Ndichu.
Ndichu will graduate next spring.
She says she will end up only spending 25 dollars out of pocket for her education.
- Ivy Tech Community College in Lafayette celebrates a big birthday
- Ivy Tech Lafayette students celebrate 2018 commencement
- Drug Take Back at Lafayette Ivy Tech Community College
- Ivy Tech Community College to host annual career fair
- Ivy Tech students celebrate at 2019 graduation
- Ivy Tech Community College Lafayette packs 10,000 meals for Days of Service
- Ivy Tech educating addiction counselors
- Ivy Tech Lafayette closed until at least 1 p.m. Wednesday
- Ivy Tech Canstruction drive feeds community and fuels creativity
- Ivy Tech Week of Service Kicks Off