LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) — The Smoking Irishman will be the twelfth restaurant Robert Turner has opened or helped open in just 14 years.
He said this one is the real deal for him. Turner is ready to take the restaurant business in Lafayette to the next level.
With three floors for seating, space for private parties and a rooftop patio, there's plenty of room to dream in the building on 4th and Main streets.
"Somebody on a banjo, harmonica, acoustic guitar, so, we'll do live music here," explained Turner.
And it doesn't stop there.
"This is one of a kind," said Turner, as he showed News 18 another patio on the ground level.
But Turner's favorite part is what's going on in the back.
"Once we get it totally built out maybe call it like "Old Smokey" have a little name on there so everybody can see it," said Turner.
And if they don't see the smokehouse, they'll definitely smell it.
"All he neighbors around me, everybody is talking about how it's like perfume," said Turner.
He isn't sure about his heritage but he said he's always been Irish at heart.
"Throughout my life, I've drank enough Guinness and I've definitely drank enough Jameson that there is Irish running through my blood," said Turner.
He loves a full plate of Irish food.
"I'm going to talk about the BBQ meatloaf, that is my favorite dish," said Turner.
"It's so good!" said News 18's Kayla Sullivan after she tried a bite.
"I appreciate it," responded Turner. "That's why it's going to be our signature dish."
But at the end of the day, Turner said it's not just the food or location that makes the restaurant.
"It's about good staff and good people," said Turner.
The Smoking Irishman is going to open up for brunch on Saturdays and Sundays starting in May.
For more, like the restaurant's Facebook page.
- Irish pub debuts in downtown Lafayette
- Couple hopes to open brew-pub in Lafayette
- WLFD debuts new equipment
- Lafayette Jeff tops Indianapolis Metropolitan in Barnhizer's debut
- Small Business Saturday takes over downtown Lafayette
- Downtown Lafayette to dedicate new mural Wednesday
- Students create new mural in downtown Lafayette
- Blind Pig Opens in Downtown Lafayette
- Taste of Tippecanoe comes to downtown Lafayette
- Potential renovations promote growth in downtown Lafayette