LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) — Veterans are being recognized for their sacrifice and service this weekend in Lafayette.
The Mary T. Klinker Veteran Resource Center is inviting veterans to a luncheon Saturday.
The luncheon provides a time to show appreciation for service members who served in Iraq and Afghanistan. Veterans across Tippecanoe and surrounding counties are invited.
"I'm one of the few amputees you'll probably see out running around," Jim Logsdon, the center's director, said.
On Aug. 13, 1970, Logsdon's life changed in an instant.
"I'm combat wounded," said Logsdon. "I stepped on a 155-round command detonator."
This happened while he served in the Vietnam war. Now, he spends his time finding veterans near and within Tippecanoe County, so they know what resources could be available for them. On Saturday, May 19, he's inviting local heroes to come together.
"We need this because we have something to relate to," Logsdon said. "If it's not PTSD, being in combat, it's just a lot of different things to relate to."
The luncheon is hosted by the Mary T. Klinker Veterans Resource Center, which was founded in 2010 for homeless and at-risk veterans and their families. The center provides free resources including financial assistance and peer-to-peer counseling.
"Sometimes you fight the war after the war," said Logsdon.
Logsdon said the luncheon can connect veterans and make the journey a little easier for the younger generation.
"A lot of the young guys, they're just now experiencing a lot of stuff that we already went through," said Logsdon.
He said there was nothing like this when he returned home from war and there's a big difference between then and now. He's hoping at least 150 veterans come out on Saturday with their families
"We won't let anybody forget that they need to be welcomed home," said Logsdon. "We'll always have open arms for them."
The Luncheon is free to all veterans and their families. It is happening from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the National Guard Armory off Haggerty Lane in Lafayette. You need to register for the event so they have a good head count. To register, you can email Jim Logsdon at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Veterans appreciation luncheon happening Saturday
- Veterans and families honored with luncheon in Lafayette
- Donations needed to host free luncheon for Vietnam veterans
- 50th Anniversary 'Welcome Home' luncheon held for Vietnam-Era veterans
- 4th Annual Boiler Con happening Saturday
- West Lafayette silent bike auction happening Saturday
- Greater Lafayette Commerce hosts construction update luncheon
- Purdue announces timing of the one-time appreciation payment
- United Way hosts luncheon to honor local volunteers
- Support for domestic violence victims and survivors at YWCA luncheon