FRANKFORT, Ind. (WLFI) — A former Purdue student accused of rape has yet to hear his formal charges.
Richard Chan, 18 of New Jersey, was a member of the Sigma Tau Gamma fraternity. He being accused of rape at an event the fraternity held Saturday on Clinton County Road 0 North South.
Richard Chan, Courtesy of Clinton County Sheriff's Office
Chan was supposed to get his formal charges Tuesday, however the state attorney said they have not had time to file these charges. She said it will be filed in the next few days.
Sigma Tau Gamma at Purdue has been suspended, pending an investigation. The suspension is an interim action and is used by the interfraternity council in any situation that "significantly jeopardizes the health and safety of a member or guest," according to IFC President Nathan Longo.
Chan faces a preliminary felony rape charge. He was accompanied in court Tuesday by his attorney, Tom O'Brien, and his family. His initial hearing has been rescheduled to Friday at 8:30 a.m.
Sigma Tau Gamma Communications released the following statement:
On October 20, 2019, Sigma Tau Gamma Headquarters Staff learned of a report of a Title IX allegation involving a former associate member of the Beta Theta Chapter at Purdue University. Due to the allegations, the associate member has received notice of removal from the organization. The chapter has been placed on Cease & Desist by Sigma Tau Gamma Headquarters Staff to support the university's investigation into the allegation. The safety and security of Sigma Tau Gamma members and guests is our top priority. All members have been encouraged to cooperate with authorities during the investigation.
- Initial hearing rescheduled for former Purdue student accused of rape
- Purdue student found not guilty of rape
- North River Road closure rescheduled
- Purdue, West Lafayette’s welcome to students living off campus rescheduled
- Purdue student seeks a rape by impersonation law
- Cemetery walk rescheduled due to rain chances
- Nelly concert rescheduled for Saturday in October
- Rescheduled Lafayette Nelly concert officially cancelled
- Purdue's new provost working on data science initiative
- Purdue Engineering announces initiative to develop earth-moon economy