LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) -- The 51 missing in action Vietnam War veterans from Indiana are going to be honored this weekend.
The Veterans of Foreign Wars, known as the VFW, are hosting a 5K at Columbian Park in Lafayette.
It starts at the Rush Pavilion at 3 p.m. this Saturday and along the way there will be posters commemorating the Vietnam vets missing in actions.
The cost is $25 and the first 500 participants get a free shirt.
Proceeds go toward VFW's general fund which helps keep programs running.
Friday, September 21st is National POW/MIA Recognition Day, but VFW's Post 1154 Commander Gene Richards said they'll use Saturday as the day to remember.
"Recognizing the sacrifices that our former prisoners of war had endured in places like Vietnam," said Richards.
Motorcycles are welcome during the 5K.
Taps will be played, there will be a 21-gun salute and there will be balloons released to honors Indiana's prisoners of war.
- Indiana's missing in action to be honored by Lafayette's Veterans of Foreign Wars
- Reptile show held at the Veterans of Foreign Wars building
- 207 American flags honor Indiana veterans
- Veterans and families honored with luncheon in Lafayette
- The Veterans Honor Flight is coming back to Greater Lafayette
- Indiana Revolutionary War figure honored with new quarter
- Statewide veterans organization honors the last Civil War veteran in Tippecanoe County
- Missing Lafayette woman found safe
- Missing Lafayette 17-year-old found
- Vettes for Veterans drive through West Lafayette