TERRE HAUTE, Ind. (WTHI) - UPDATE: Indiana State Police reports the suspect involved in this case is dead.
Just before 12 p.m. Indiana State Police and Terre Haute Police were called to a new location in the 2100 block of 4th Avenue. Police had information to believe that the suspect had moved from the previous location on 1st Avenue.
ISP reports that suspect has been shot and is dead.
The Vigo County School Corporation reports both Deming Elementary and Benjamin Franklin Elementary are on a lockdown because of this situation.
The original story starting with the Monday afternoon Putnam Street shooting is below.
According to police, this started at a home located at 2124 Putnam Street on Monday evening.
Police say two people were shot inside of the home, leaving one person dead and one person seriously injured. Terre Haute Police have identified the victim as Amanda Kerns. The male is in critical condition.
The suspect in that shooting ended up at 2214 1st Avenue in Terre Haute. When police responded they say the suspect fired several shots at officers.
That led to police calling in the Special Response Team and officials report officers did return fire.
A resident of the area told News 10 he heard 17 gunshots in about 30 minutes Monday evening. Then, just after 10:30 Monday evening, News 10's Heather Good reported hearing several loud bangs followed by what appeared to be smoke.
Several blocks surrounding the 1st Avenue address were closed off.
Now News 10's Melissa Crash did speak with a neighbor who says she had been waiting to get into her home all night. She says she lives right next door to the home where this situation is happening and knows the suspect involved.
"I keep crying because I want to go home. But, I can't. I just hope and pray that he just surrenders and it is a positive outcome," Jamie Markle told us. "He is a kind person. But when you get mixed up with the wrong things, that's what happens."
- Standoff lasting 20+ hours comes to an end; ISP confirms suspect is dead
- Man shot in West Lafayette standoff that lasts several hours
- ISP says 2 dead in I-65 crash
- ISP: Missing Brookston man found dead
- ISP Trooper catches Newton County carjacking suspect
- ISP traffic stop ends in 2 drug arrests
- Police standoff in Washington Co. ends peacefully
- An 8-hour standoff ended with 6 Philadelphia officers shot. An attorney told the suspect to surrender
- ISP has eyes in the sky
- ISP stops to assist travelers, finds drugs