HAMMOND, Ind. (AP) — Federal charges have been filed against an Indiana man who authorities say threatened to shoot President Donald Trump in Facebook posts.
The indictment says 20-year-Steffon Gonzalez posted on March 28 that he was "standing outside the president's location with a bullet 'chambered' to 'blow his head off.'" Trump had a rally that day in Grand Rapids, Michigan .
Gonzalez lives in Hobart, about 145 miles (233 kilometers) southwest of Grand Rapids.
The (Merrillville) Post-Tribune reports Gonzalez is charged with making threats against the president and obstruction of justice. The indictment was unsealed Wednesday. He was previously charged in Lake Superior Court with felony intimidation.
According to an affidavit, Gonzalez told agents his account was hacked and denied threatening the president. The affidavit also says officers found 9 mm rounds and gunpowder in Gonzalez's room. The affidavit says Gonzalez said he wasn't the only person with access to the room.
- Indiana man accused of posting Trump threats on Facebook
- Man accused of making false bomb threat pleads guilty
- Indiana man charged, accused of putting officer in chokehold
- Indiana lawmaker under fire for posting noose picture
- Man sentenced to 29 years for Indiana post office pipe bomb
- Indiana Attorney General accused of inappropriate touching
- Panel accuses Indiana attorney general of misconduct
- LPD, sheriff's office provide requested security for Kristine Barnett before hearing due to Facebook post
- Minor sent to prison for Indiana school bomb threat
- 5 arrested following threat against southern Indiana school