INDIANAPOLIS (WLFI) — Alcohol is a hot topic at the Indiana Statehouse right now. The state could soon see Sunday alcohol sales and cold beer sales at certain retailers.
Not buying alcohol on Sundays is something Purdue student Maureen Wieland had to get used to.
"I think it's a little bit weird that they don't sell alcohol on Sundays," said Wieland.
Unlike Indiana, her home state of Minnesota allows people to buy alcohol on Sundays.
But that could be changing thanks to a bill drafted by Republican State Senator Ron Alting.
"I went to the shareholders involved in this and had a dialog with them and worked with them and tried to find compromises that we could come up with," said Alting.
Alting says he used a collaborative approach when writing it, speaking with people who would be impacted.
Those include big-box store owners.
Wednesday, the Senate Public Policy Committee passed the measure nine to zero.
It's designed to extend the sale of alcohol on Sundays from noon to 8 p.m.
"It's working six days. Common sense tells me, just move it to seven with specific hours and we've got a home run," said Alting.
Another measure in the works would allow convenience stores, big-box retailers and pharmacies to sell cold beer.
Currently, that is a right enjoyed primarily by package liquor stores.
Alting is not sure how the vote will turn out.
He said, "It has its struggles, but I think a good, fair, open dialog is needed so other members of the Senate can form their own opinion."
By forming those opinions Alting says the bill could gain more support in the future, but for now, its fate is uncertain.
Purdue student Cameron Schitter thinks it creates more competition between retailers.
"It should be a little more even playing field and it should allow everyone the best opportunity to make the most profit," said Schitter.
- Indiana could soon see Sunday alcohol sales
- Hoosiers celebrate Sunday alcohol sales
- Indiana Senate approves carryout Sunday alcohol sales bill
- Governor signs Indiana Sunday alcohol sales bill into law
- Indiana Sunday alcohol sales bill could take effect sooner
- House vote puts Indiana Sunday alcohol sales near approval
- Indiana lawmakers send Sunday alcohol sales bill to governor
- Commission advances proposal for Sunday alcohol sales
- House joins Senate in passing Sunday alcohol sales bill
- West Lafayette shoppers share excitement about Sunday alcohol sales