WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) -- Hundreds of retired servicemen and women gathered with their families to honor the ultimate sacrifice made by their fallen comrades.
Indiana Veterans’ Home resident, Leon Mays, was able to say the Pledge of Allegiance to kick the ceremony off. He got emotional while speaking about how proud he was to say the Pledge and how he felt a similar pride to what he felt when he enlisted.
“I always feel honored to say the Pledge of Allegiance for my country,” said Mays. “When I enlisted, I felt the same way, but more honored over the years I've served and witnessed so much.”
The American Legion Post 492 posted the colors for the service, gave a 21-Gun salute, and closed with the playing of Taps.
- Indiana Veterans' Home hosts 2019 Memorial Day Remembrance Service
- Weather plans for Indiana Veterans' Home Memorial Day Ceremony
- 9/11 memorials and remembrances around the United States for 2019
- Indiana Veterans Home hosts Native American Indian Veterans Ceremony
- Purdue holds annual Memorial Day Service
- Purdue University honors Vietnam veterans for Memorial Day Service this year
- Volunteers plant trees at Indiana Veterans' Home
- Flag planted at Indiana Veteran's Home
- Indiana Veterans' Home looking for new superintendent
- New banners for Veterans Memorial Parkway unveiled