INDIANAPOLIS — The Indiana Black Legislative Caucus released its steps towards reform they’re asking Govoner Holcomb to enact. The list was broken into two phases.
Phase one is titled "immediate action" and had four main points. The first is asking Gov. Holcomb to issue an executive order to immediately ban law-enforcement from using chokehold restraints or other means of restraint that cut off the ability to breathe. It must include "specific repercussions" officers would face for violating the ban.
The second point states if no action is taken by the Governor, then Indiana mayors, city councils and chiefs of police to establish a local policy that outlaws chokehold restraints.
The third point state IBLC is urging Holcomb to immediately establish a statewide criminal justice commission with a diverse appointment of civilian representatives from cities with significant African-American populations. to examine every aspect of the state’s criminal justice system and recommend comprehensive criminal justice reform, including the eradication of racist policing policies.
The last immediate action point calls for local review boards established to review public complaints of police violence.
In the second phase, the IBLC will craft a legislative action plan with input from the public during the IBLC virtual town halls on June 11 and June 25.
They said the plan will include but is not limited to legislation pertaining to:
- Recommendations from the statewide criminal justice commission
- Statewide use of body and dashboard cameras
- Local wide special prosecutor for police misconduct in the use of fatal excessive force
- Police reporting of lethal force involving law-enforcement
- Statewide public database for citizens complaints against law enforcement officers
- Anti-racial profiling law
- Enhanced penalties for officer-involved shootings
- Inclusive hate crime legislation
- Ensuring FOP contracts are public record and requiring a public hearing for renewal
- Mental health reviews for police officers
- Confidential whistleblower complaint process for officers
- Implicit bias, dispute resolution and de-escalation training for officers