LAKE STATION, Ind. (WLFI) - An Illinois man faces mulitple charges after becoming violent at a hospital he was being treated at.
Joan Miyera had been involved in a car accident on Friday around 10:30 p.m. on the ramp from I-80 eastbound to southbound Ripley St in Lake County.
At the time of the crash, he had open containers of alcohol throughout his car. The 37-year-old was transported from the scene of the crash to St. Mary's Hospital in Hobart, Indiana.
Further investigation at the hospital led Troopers to believe Mr. Miyares was intoxicated at the time of the crash.
He became loud and profane at the hospital, and had to be physically restrained. Miyares also spit blood and saliva onto a nurse who was attempting to treat him.
A search warrant for Mr. Miyares blood was requested and granted through the Lake County prosecutor’s office. After being told of the warrant, Mr. Miyares once again became irate and profane.
Once the blood draw was completed, Mr. Miyares made threats against the well-being of medical staff and both Trooper Carlson and Trooper Brasseur.
When he was medically cleared to be taken to the Lake County Jail, he continued to resist by not sitting in the front seat of the police vehicle.
He began to kick and twist his body to avoid being placed into the police vehicle while also attempting to bite Trooper Carlson in the face and shoulder area.
In order to gain compliance, a taser was used on Mr. Miyares. The Hobart Police Department was also contacted to assist in the transport of the prisoner.
Miyares has been charged with battery by bodily waste, disorderly conduct, intimidation, resisting law enforcement, OWI-prior and OWI-endangerment.
The Indiana State Police would again remind drivers not to get behind the wheel of a vehicle after consuming alcoholic beverages.
They are encouraging people to use a designated driver or one of the many ride services available to the public.
- Illinois man faces multiple charges after car accident in Lake County
- Illinois man is charged with multiple counts of dealing narcotics
- UPDATE: Violent felon faces multiple charges
- Woman faces multiple charges including armed robbery
- Darius Printup faces multiple charges including dealing meth
- Multiple drug charges filed against man on house arrest
- Lafayette man facing charges of child molesting
- West Lafayette man faces battery charges
- Lafayette man faces felony child molesting charges.
- Man arrested facing attempted murder charge