WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) — An Illinois basketball player is apologizing for his actions during Tuesday's game against Purdue.
Sophomore Alan Griffin was ejected after stepping on the chest of Sasha Stefanovic midway through the first half.
He tweeted an apology saying what happened was out of character.
"I sincerely apologize for my actions toward Sasha Stefanovic during last night's game. What happened was out of character and does not reflect who I am as a person. Sasha was kind enough to allow me to meet him after the game to offer my apologies. To Sasha, Coach Painter and the rest of the Purdue team, my coaches, teammates and Illini Nation, I am deeply sorry that this incident caused a distraction in what was otherwise a great night for our team. I promise to Coach Underwood and my teammates that I will be more mindful in the future."
Illinois beat Purdue 79 to 62.
— Alan Griffin (@alangriffin_) January 22, 2020
- Illinois' Alan Griffin apologizes for stepping on Purdue's Sasha Stefanovic
- Stefanovic scores 23, Purdue tops Central Michigan 97-62
- Stefanovic’s 3 gives Purdue a 61-58 win over Northwestern
- Griffin's double-double helps Illinois beat Purdue 63-37
- Big Ten suspends Illinois’ Griffin 2 games
- Purdue rolls over Illinois 46-7
- Pacers handle Griffin-less Pistons 108-89
- Griffin, Drummond help Pistons beat Pacers, 108-101
- Oden leads Purdue women over Illinois, 64-51
- Purdue women breeze past Western Illinois 81-60