INDIANAPOLIS — In response to increased COVID-19 cases and hospitalizations across the state, Indiana University Health announced it is updating its temporary visitor guidelines to minimize the risk of infection within its facilities and keep patients, families and team members safe.
Effective Nov. 19, 2020, no visitors will be permitted in IU Health hospitals and facilities. Some exceptions are outlined below. Approved visitors must screen negative for COVID-19 and will be provided a mask that must be worn at all times.
New hospital visitor guidelines
No visitors will be permitted at IU Health hospitals. Exceptions will be considered in the following areas where a patient may receive one designated visitor:
- Certified doulas allowed to attend deliveries as a member of the care team
- For a patient who is a minor, a parent or guardian allowed in addition to a partner
- Emergency Department on a case-by-case basis
- Outpatient and Inpatient surgery (for additional consent needs and discharge)
- Patient caretaker in-person education
- At time of admission for a patient being directly admitted to the hospital
Exceptions will be considered in the following areas where a patient may receive two designated visitors:
- Neo-natal intensive care unit (NICU)
- End of life situations
New outpatient and clinic visitor guidelines
- Patients are encouraged to come to the appointment by themselves and will be screened for COVID-19. If the patient does not pass the screening, the patient could be asked to reschedule their appointment.
- If an adult companion is approved to assist the patient (e.g. driver, caregiver), the companion will be screened. If the companion does not pass the screening, they will be asked to leave.
- If the companion is a parent or guardian of a minor child and does not pass the screening, another adult can be screened, or the appointment will be rescheduled.
More information about COVID-19, visitor guidelines and screening processes can be found at iuhealth.org. Visitor guidelines for Riley Hospital for Children at IU Health can be found at rileychildrens.org.