MONTGOMERY COUNTY, Ind. (WLFI) — Indiana State Police have submitted a preliminary investigative report to the Montgomery County Prosecutor's Office about the shooting death of Glenn Rightsell. It's the latest update into the Dec. 28 incident where Trooper Daniel Organ shot Rightsell on U.S. 231.
Organ told investigators Rightsell was carrying a firearm and grabbed at his weapon when Organ fired.
Sgt. Kim Riley said as of Friday, the Montgomery County Prosecutor's Office had report. The prosecutor's office will now see if any follow-up investigation is needed. The results of an autopsy are expected in the next several weeks, according to ISP.
State police said on Dec. 28, Organ tagged an abandoned black 2007 Chevrolet Tahoe shortly after 4 p.m.
The car was located on the side of northbound U.S. 231 near Montgomery County Road 550 North. That's near North Montgomery High School, about 15 miles south of Lafayette.
Afterwards, Organ continued his normal patrol.
State Police said that at around 6:35 p.m. that day, he drove past car again when he saw a white 2018 Dodge car had pulled up in front of the Tahoe. Rightsell was at the front of the vehicle with the hood open.
The Trooper Organ reportedly saw a handgun on the Rightsell's waist as the trooper pulled his vehicle behind the Tahoe and parked with his emergency lights and spotlight on to investigate why the car was there.
"As the trooper approached from the driver’s side of the Tahoe, he identified himself as a law enforcement officer and gave verbal commands to Mr. Rightsell. Mr. Rightsell failed to comply with the directions and allegedly grabbed the gun on his waist, at which time the trooper drew his sidearm and fired upon Mr. Rightsell, striking him at least once," said State Police in a press release.
A video was recorded by Kenneth Steen, who lives across the street from where the incident took place.
After the shooting, Organ used his radio to indicate shots were fired and request help. Montgomery County Sheriff's Office deputies say they arrived to secure the scene and give first aid to Rightsell before he was taken to the hospital.
Rightsell later died at Franciscan Health Crawfordsville.
- ISP submits report to prosecutor in Glenn Rightsell death investigation
- ISP Identifies trooper in fatal shooting of Glenn Rightsell
- Widow of Glenn Rightsell takes steps to file wrongful death lawsuit against ISP, doctor
- Crawfordsville community wants justice for Glenn Rightsell
- Glenn Rightsell laid to rest, honored with motorcycle ride
- ISP peer reviews Tippecanoe Co. inmate death investigation
- ISP investigating a death at Miami Correctional Facility
- ISP investigating officer involved shooting in Waynetown
- Gloria Rightsell reacts to no charges in her late husband's death
- Gloria Rightsell pushing for justice now more than ever