CARROLL COUNTY, Ind. (WLFI) - A year ago Tuesday, Libby German and Abby Williams disappeared from a hike on the Monon High Bridge Trail. Their unsolved murders have put Delphi in the national spotlight. After a year without answers, investigators gave a clear message: they're not giving up.
"I just hope one day I can look into the eyes of the murderer and ask him why," said Indiana State Police Superintendent Doug Carter. "I believe that we will."
It's been one year and still no arrest.
"We cannot allow, we cannot allow evil to prevail," said Carter. "Our world is completely out of balance."
A year ago Tuesday, Abby and Libby were last seen on the Monon High Bridge. Their bodies were later found less than a mile from the bridge.
"People have often times asked me, 'Why is this so personal to you?' It's personal to me because those two young girls were everybody's daughter. This beautiful place that represents the very best of humanity and look what happened," said Carter.
Carter made it clear in a press conference they're determined to find whoever killed the two girls, but they need the community's help.
"Please, if you have an idea of an individual, of a comment, of a phrase or of a name that you send it to us," said Carter.
He said someone out there knows who it is. It's someone's brother, husband or coworker. Carter said all they need to solve this heinous crime is one more piece of the puzzle.
"So, if all of you closed your eyes for just a moment and thought of a family member, but you didn't think of them from the neck up. You would know how they stand and the clothes they wore and their posture. You would know that voice. I would know it if it was my father. Just like you would know it if it was yours," said Carter.
Police aren't releasing any more audio or video. They believe they can catch the killer with this grainy photo of a man on the bridge and with the audio.
"I don't ever remember having the photograph of the person we believe is responsible," said Carter. "I don't ever remember having the voice of a person who we think is responsible. I don't ever remember having the sketch of the person who we think is responsible.”
Carter also said for right now, they are ruling out Daniel nations as the person responsible for the deaths.
- ISP superintendent: Delphi double homicide far from a cold case
- WATCH: ISP superintendent speaks on anniversary of Delphi homicides
- First Christmas after the Delphi double homicide
- Delphi one year after the double homicide
- Dr. Phil to discuss Delphi double homicides
- 18-month anniversary of Delphi double homicide
- ISP holds news conference 2 years after the Delphi double homicide
- ISP will announce Monday a new direction in Delphi homicide investigation
- ISP release video, additional audio and a new sketch of the Delphi Homicide suspect
- Delphi homicide case manager graduates from FBI National Academy