TIPPECANOE COUNTY, Ind. (WLFI)—Following a deadly multi-vehicle accident on Thursday where one person died and another was airlifted. Indiana State Police said it's been a quiet summer despite construction on the busy interstate.
"We've had very few major accidents in the area,” said Indiana State Police Sergeant Kim Riley. “We've had some, like yesterday we had two separate crashes one was basically a fender bender and the other one we had the fatality."
Sgt. Riley said construction hasn't and doesn't necessarily play a role.
"With I-65 it's been publicized very well there's construction going up and down I-65 from the Kentucky boarder all the way up the river,” said Riley.
The Criminal Justice Institute in Indianapolis said in 2018 there were 11 personal injury crashes due to construction and no fatal crashes.
This year as of August 31st there have been nine personal injury crashes due to construction and zero fatalities.
You can view a detailed analysis from 2015-2019
Sgt. Riley said the multi-vehicle crash on Thursday was a result of the driver not paying attention.
“One guy was trying to find a bottle on the floor of his truck,” said Riley. “Looked up and traffic had stopped in front of him. He basically plowed into four other vehicles."
Driver Joel Butler said there are times when driving on I-65 is more dangerous than other times.
"There's certain times of the day where you just don't want to get on the interstate,” said Butler.
Butler said, if he can, he avoids the interstate.
"I just take country roads there because it's like a straight shot to Anderson and it’s much easier less stress,” said Butler.
Debbie Calder with INDOT said right now there is construction taking place to add an extra travel lane. That’s going North over the Wabash River.
- ISP: Crash statistics for I-65 decreasing even after deadly crash
- Lafayette crime statistics decreasing
- ISP says 2 dead in I-65 crash
- Man arrested after I-65 crash
- I-65 southbound closed for hours after deadly multi-vehicle crash
- ISP identifies man killed in Monday crash
- Crash slows holiday traffic on I-65
- Bug distraction causes crash that closed I-65
- Crash causes delays along I-65 Wednesday morning
- I-65 closed due to multiple vehicle crash