LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) — The Indiana Occupational Safety and Health Administration is conducting an Active Safety Review at Lafayette's Arconic plant after a worker fell into a casting pit in late August. IOSHA representative Stephanie McFarland said Tuesday that a full safety review is currently underway.
McFarland said an Active Safety Review is not an investigation. Rather, she said IOSHA workers will inspect and walk through the plant to check for any violations. If something is spotted, IOSHA can issue a safety order that then becomes public record. Arconic was required to report the incident to IOSHA.
As we reported in August, Lafayette fire officials said an employee, who has not been identified, was in critical condition after falling 40 feet into a casting pit. At the time, the battalion chief said he believed the pit was empty, but could not say for sure.
News 18 has been working to learn more about the incident since it happened on Aug. 24. An update has not been provided about the employee's condition, despite our attempts.
Arconic issued the following statement to News 18 in August:
“Our thoughts are with our colleague and his family, and we offer them our support during this difficult time. We are working with the appropriate authorities to investigate the incident.”
McFarland said the results of the Active Safety Review will be available in 30 days. We will update you with those results when they are available.
- IOSHA conducting safety review at Arconic after worker fall
- Arconic employee critical after falling 40 feet into casting pit
- Arconic ends pre-Medicare retiree health coverage
- IFD to conduct peer review of state police investigation into fatal Flora fire
- Residents respond to IFD conducting a peer review on the Flora fire case
- December 2018 Weather Review
- January 2019 Weather Review
- Tippecanoe County Local Child Fatality Review Team meets to discuss child deaths and ATV safety
- DNR urges hunting safety after man falls from tree stand
- Indiana governor pledges ‘transparent’ child agency review