INDIANAPOLIS — The Indiana Department of Transportation (INDOT) is encouraging drivers to think about alternate routes around Indianapolis as Gen Con heads into the city this week. According to a press release, Gen Con is expected to bring in around 65,000 people to the city this week.
I-70 EB and WB is closed from I-465 to the South Split until Monday, August 5. During the closure, INDOT is sharing alternate routes to get motorists downtown and to and from the Indianapolis International Airport.
INDOT asks drivers to please consider these alternate routes if you are heading into Indianapolis for the convention from west of downtown or from the Airport.
From the Airport to Downtown
- Use Ronald Reagan Pkwy. North to U.S. 40 (Washington St.), travel east on U.S. 40 (Washington St.) to downtown Indianapolis
- Use I-465 north to U.S. 40 (Washington St.), travel east on Washington St. to downtown Indianapolis
- Use I-465 north to Sam Jones Expressway, follow Sam Jones Expressway east to Harding St. (Sam Jones Expressway will become Raymond St. east of Holt Rd.), travel north on Harding St. to Washington St., travel east on Washington St. to downtown Indianapolis
- Use I-465 north to U.S. 36 (Rockville Rd.), travel east on Rockville to Washington St., travel east on Washington St. to downtown Indianapolis
- Use I-465 south to S.R. 67 (Kentucky Ave.), travel north on Kentucky Ave. to Harding St., travel north on Harding St. to Washington St., travel east on Washington St. to downtown Indianapolis
From West of Indianapolis International Airport to Downtown Indianapolis
- From I-70 east, take exit 66 for S.R. 267 (Quaker Blvd.), follow Quaker Blvd. north to U.S. 40 (Washington St.), follow Washington St. east to downtown Indianapolis.
- INDOT encourages drivers to find alternate routes ahead of Gen Con
- Gen Con says record crowd of nearly 70,000 attended meeting
- Purdue researchers finding cleaner fuel alternatives
- Drivers are preparing for INDOT's Wildcat Creek Bridge construction
- INDOT: North River Road closes Tuesday
- INDOT releases mobile app for Apple, Android
- INDOT announces millions for infrastructure improvements
- INDOT begins construction on U.S. 231 bridge
- INDOT plans to improve fatal crash intersection
- INDOT hosts public forum in Lafayette