Photo Gallery 5 Images
TIPPECANOE COUNTY, Ind. (WLFI) — Interstate 65 is back open in both directions, about six hours after a crash that killed two people.
Police say at around 3:20 p.m. a crash occurred near exit 169 on Interstate 65. Because of that crash, traffic was backed up.
Shortly after, a car hauler was headed towards exit 172. They didn't see the backed-up traffic, failed to slow down in time and crashed into a barricade. The car hauler then smashed into a car which then smashed into the back of a semi.
A domino effect then occurred when a box truck and then another semi both crashed into the car resulting in a pileup.
ISP has confirmed two deaths as the result of the crashes. The coroner is currently on the scene.
Emergency crews are still trying to remove the occupants from the vehicles involved.
Police say to avoid I-65 for several hours and to seek alternate routes if traveling southbound near the S.R. 26 exit.
- ISP says 2 dead in I-65 crash
- ISP: Crash statistics for I-65 decreasing even after deadly crash
- ISP investigating after car hit by gunfire on I-65
- Man arrested after I-65 crash
- ISP: Missing Brookston man found dead
- ISP identifies man killed in Monday crash
- Crash slows holiday traffic on I-65
- Bug distraction causes crash that closed I-65
- Crash causes delays along I-65 Wednesday morning
- I-65 closed due to multiple vehicle crash