WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) — How do you get one of the great diplomats of our time to visit Purdue? It's simple, according to Purdue President Mitch Daniels.
"I called her up and asked her."
More than 6,000 people will hear Condoleezza Rice speak Wednesday at the Elliott Hall of Music. Rice first served as national security adviser to President George W. Bush. During his second term, she became the first African American woman to become U.S. Secretary of State.
Purdue President Mitch Daniels served with Rice during their time in the Bush administration. Bush appointed Daniels as Director of the U.S. Office of Management and Budget. He served there until 2003, when he announced he would run for Indiana governor.
"I've known her a long time," said Daniels. "We did work together. I admire her immensely, and everyone should. She's one of the great human stories, one of the great talents and one of the great citizens of our time."
All the tickets were claimed fast.
"I'm not surprised we are having trouble finding enough room for everyone who wants to hear from her," said Daniels.
He said he's excited to see his old friend at his new job.
"It could just be because we are friends, and she's the sort of person that goes out of her way and do nice things for people," said Daniels. "On the other hand, it's kind of a home-and-home. I've done a couple of presentations out at Stanford. I guess this will even us up a little bit!"
The event is sold out, however Purdue has arranged an overflow livestream space for the talk.
You can watch the talk via livestream in Stewart Center's Loeb Playhouse. Doors open at 5:30 p.m., and the event begins at 6:30. Photos are not allowed, and Rice will be unavailable to the meida.
If you have already claimed tickets, you will need to make advance arrangements to pick up tickets with a photo ID.
Local residents can visit the Loeb Box Office in Stewart Center beginning at 10 a.m. Wednesday. Out of town guests can pick up tickets starting at 3 p.m. Wednesday from will call, which will be located near the Purdue Bell Tower outside of Elliott Hall of Music.
— Trevor Peters (@TrevorPetersTV) October 9, 2019
- How do you get Condoleezza Rice to Purdue? 'I called her up and asked her'
- Former U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice to speak at Purdue
- Drivers asked to avoid road near Purdue for deterioration
- Purdue students call on university to make a statement
- Purdue Senate asks university to waive fee for replacement student ID's
- Purdue to make announcement regarding Purdue NewU
- Purdue Archives offers look into Purdue's history
- Purdue officially launches Purdue University Global
- Harris, Purdue crush Purdue Fort Wayne 78-44
- Purdue dispatches Purdue Fort Wayne 11-2