LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) — As News 18 reported, the City of Lafayette is looking to purchase the Lafayette theater for $290,000.
The city of Lafayette is purchasing the Lafayette Theater in hopes to draw people to the area. Current Lafayette Theater tenant Nicholas Perez said this purchase is a positive.
“You want to catch a good show or something you got to go out of town,” said Perez. “We have the space, we have all the opportunity, it's just a matter of putting it in place.”
The Lafayette Theater is owned by a Lafayette based company called New York L-L-C. Perez has been running the Lafayette Theater for the past two years. He's experienced the hardship of what it takes to keep its doors open.
“The overhead to run the Lafayette Theater is it's super expensive,” said Perez. “The building's old, the heating system is old, it costs a lot of money to run this place.”
Perez said he and his crew have done the best they can but he’s ready for the facility to see some major improvements.
“I think me and my team have done a great job of keeping the doors open and keeping the entertainment coming and just making it more appealing,” said Perez.
Local downtown businesses are hoping to reap the benefits as well.
“There should be restaurants, there should be bars, there should be entertainment for the community and it's downtown Lafayette. That's why I'm here, that's why I've made the investment to be here,” said Robert Turner, owner of downtown Lafayette Bobby T’s.
“There's a lot of communities that downtowns have sort of faded away and Lafayette has made a lot of positive changes said Greg Emig, owner of Lafayette Brewing Company.
The Lafayette Theater has been a staple in the community since 1938. The city doesn't plan to completely change the building but restore and update as necessary.
- How do downtown business owners feel about the City of Lafayette purchasing Lafayette Theater?
- Downtown Lafayette host OutFest
- New owner means new rules for Lafayette Theater
- Small Business Saturday takes over downtown Lafayette
- Lafayette 7 Theater re-opens after renovations
- Lafayette business owner talks about process of becoming a citizen
- KKK recruitment fliers found outside downtown Lafayette businesses
- Lafayette bar owner giving out free rides
- Lafayette Aviators have a new owner
- New rules expected for Lafayette pet owners