WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. (Purdue Sports) — Purdue sophomore libero Marissa Hornung picked up her first conference honor as she was named the Big Ten Defensive Player of the Week for her efforts against Rutgers and then-No. 23 Michigan.
Hornung paced the Boilermakers with 5.83 digs per set, while adding six assists, two service aces and one kill as Purdue reached the 20-win milestone for the third-straight season. The sophomore recorded a match-high 18 digs on Wednesday against Rutgers, before delivering a match-best 17 digs against Michigan on Saturday.
The libero also posted a 100 percent reception rate. Her flawless performance helped the Boilermakers limit their conference opponents to a .093 hitting percentage on the weekend.
The honor is the first in her career and the first defensive recognition for Purdue since Brooke Peters on Sept. 4, 2018.
This weekend Purdue (20-7, 12-6 Big Ten) will look to keep its momentum alive in its final two matches of the season. The Boilermakers play at Michigan on Wednesday at 7 p.m. ET before wrapping up the regular season with a 7 p.m. match on Friday at Michigan State. The 2019 NCAA tournament bracket will be announced on Sunday, Dec. 1 at 8:30 p.m. on ESPNU.
- Purdue's Hornung named Big Ten Defensive Player of the Week
- Purdue's Nick Delesandro named Big Ten Player of the Week
- Purdue's Carsen Edwards named Big Ten Player of the Week
- Purdue's McGowan named Big Ten Player of Week (Baseball)
- Six Purdue baseball players named All-Big Ten
- Isaac Haas named Big Ten Player of the Week
- Vincent Edwards named Big Ten Player of Week
- Trevion Williams named co-Big Ten Player of the Week
- David Blough named Big Ten Offensive Player of the Week
- Purdue's Atkinson Big Ten Co-Player of the Week