LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) - You'll likely see less of Chicago this summer if you are wanting to go by train.
“I like to go with my auntie Tracy house and play with my other brothers,” says Amari Felton an eleven-year-old boy.
But now It will be harder for Amari Felton to see his family from Chicago because of the upcoming closure of Hoosier State Line Train.
“We won’t be able to get to Chicago as much as we want too now,” Felton says.
On Sunday Amtrak will be closing their doors for people wanting to travel from Lafayette to Chicago.
Student, Alexis Huckleby says it may even hurt families.
“I feel like it’s going to affect a lot of the people that use the train especially to go to work, their jobs and to go see families,” said Huckleby. “I know a lot of people here that have families back home in Chicago and I know a couple of people that actually use the train,”
An Ivy Tech student, Grace Dodson says she wishes this would have had a different outcome.
“I think it was because they weren’t getting enough money to go through with it maybe just opening it a few times a week instead of doing the four times could possibly help,” said Dodson.
According to Amtrak, they are closing due to the elimination of state funding.
“I mean you never know a lot of it just runs around money and trying to get the finances for it just kind of hurts it," stated Dodson.
Dodson says she favors the train over driving throughout Chicago.
“I thought it was just very like, calming and relaxing, I don’t really like driving myself so to be able to, to be on somewhere, where I can communicate with others and do my work while I’m on the ride it just kind of makes a difference,” said Huckleby.
Amtrak says representatives will be riding these trains to provide information on Amtrak buses that will still be available for Chicago, Lafayette, and Indianapolis.
State Senator Ron Alting says they believe they will find a replacement in late fall this year but will need the Governors support.
- Hoosier State Line Train to close
- Amtrak closes Hoosier State Trains
- Amtrak suspends Hoosier State line tickets
- Transportation options for Hoosier State Line riders
- Hoosier State Amtrak line in jeopardy of losing state funding
- Local legislators fighting for Hoosier State Rail Line
- Hoosiers plan one final push to save the Hoosier State Line
- State Sen. Alting to issue amendment that would save Hoosier State Rail Line
- State House of Representatives votes 'no' to save funding for Hoosier State Rail Line
- Hoosier Weather Folklore