TIPPECANOE COUNTY, Ind. (WLFI) - A Tippecanoe County man is ordered to serve 90 days in community corrections for animal cruelty.
Mark Kirts, 51, pleaded guilty and was sentenced this afternoon.
The doctor who saved Holly, Dr. Amanda Falcone has since adopted her.
"You can't lock him in a stall and starve him," said Falcone. "Two wrongs don't make a right, but certainly, I think more than probation."
Kirts was sentenced to a year of probation. He will also spend 90 days on either house arrest or work release and pay a little more than $6,000 to Wildcat Valley Animal Clinic for his crime.
"I don't think he should have horses ever again," said Falcone. "And I think he should think about what he did."
In court, Kirts apologized for abandoning and not feeding Holly from August to December of 2016.
"Skin and bones was really all that she was," said Falcone.
Dr. Amanda Falcone said when Holly the Horse got here, her body score was a one out of a nine. With a score that low, a full recovery isn't guaranteed but Dr. Falcone made sure to get her stable. She never left her side.
"Most of the time it was easier just to sleep right next to her stall because if she laid down and I didn't notice then I would at least hear her lay down," said Falcone.
But since then, Holly has made a full recovery.
"It's a rare case for them to come back from being that far gone, I think that without the volunteers that we had, like we wouldn't have been able to do it without them," said Falcone.
Falcone was hoping for some jail time for Kirts. She also expressed disappointment in the fact he will be allowed to own horses again after a year.
However, she's happy Kirts won't have anything to do with Holly moving forward.
- Holly the horse fully recovers; abuser sentenced to one year
- Golden Apple 2017 - Holly Olney
- Lafayette mother sentenced for abuse
- Prophetstown horse passes away
- NASA names Holly Ridings its first female chief flight director
- Stolen Picasso painting worth $28 million recovered after 20 years
- State Street fully reopens for drivers and pedestrians
- Frankfort woman gets 45 year murder sentence
- Repeat sex offender sentenced to 50 years
- Lafayette rapist sentenced to 23 years