ALLEN COUNTY, Ind. (WLFI) — Hoosier hospitality was on full display when a homeless couple from Texas desperately needed shelter from the cold weather.
The two people and their dog were given a room at a Hilton hotel in Fort Wayne for free.
It started Monday night, when Indiana State police got a call, saying someone was seeking shelter from the bitter temperatures in a Goodwill bin.
Police called around and ended up on the phone with the staff right next door at the Hilton.
Hotel staff quickly came up with a plan to get the people and their dog inside.
"I wanted to cry. I gave her a hug. She's like 'don't worry, we got the room for the night.' I was like 'are you serious? We don't have to sleep in the cold?' It was a good holiday surprise."
They were also surprised with a second night free at the hotel.
The Texas couple told News 18's CBS affiliate in Fort Wayne that this is one of the best places they've been with some of the nicest people they've met.
- Holiday miracle for homeless couple
- Unity's Miracles Rehabilitation to relocate
- PUDM's Day of Miracles is happening now
- Miracle Gray to transfer from Purdue women’s basketball
- PUDM's Day of Miracles raises more than $150K for Riley
- Saints get revenge for ‘miracle’ in 30-20 win over Vikings
- Rensselaer holiday trash schedule
- BMV holiday closures
- 2018 Holiday Shipping Deadlines
- Local couple celebrates milestone anniversary