INDIANAPOLIS (AP) — Actor Chris Hemsworth will wave the green flag to start this year's Indianapolis 500.
The honorary starter might be best known to racing fans for his portrayal of former Formula One James Hunt in the movie "Rush."
But movie fans probably know Hemsworth best for his roles in the Marvel's "Avengers" series. The newest installment, "Avengers: Infinity War," recently set a box office record of $640.9 million worldwide opening weekend.
The Indianapolis 500 will be held May 27 on Indianapolis Motor Speedway's historic 2.5-mile oval. Practice begins Tuesday, with qualifying set for Saturday and Sunday.
- Hemsworth to serve as Indianapolis 500 honorary starter
- Kelly Clarkson will sing national anthem at Indianapolis 500
- Simon Pagenaud takes pole position for the 2019 Indianapolis 500
- Indianapolis 500 postponed until August because of COVID-19
- Astronaut to receive honorary degree from Purdue
- Purdue All-American Marching Band celebrates 100 years of music at the Indianapolis 500
- Harrison grad oversees 3 cars as crew chief at Indianapolis 500
- Indiana boy gets honorary black belt for fighting off dogs
- Indianapolis Zoo opening new exhibits
- Mayflower Mill holds 'Kindy 500' race