MORRISTOWN, Ind. (AP) — Police say vandals have damaged 22 headstones at a historic central Indiana cemetery.
They say a caretaker discovered the damage at the Davis-Bennet Cemetery in Morristown on Sunday and believes it occurred sometime over the preceding week.
Police say headstones had been pushed over, broken or damaged by impact. WTHR-TV reports it's the second time in a year the cemetery 25 miles (40 kilometers) southeast of Indianapolis has been vandalized.
Graves in the cemetery date to the early 1800s. Police say the damaged headstones include that of a man who had served in the Revolutionary War.
- Headstones toppled at historic central Indiana cemetery
- Volunteers clean up cemetery headstones for WWI veterans
- Damaged headstones repaired at cemetery dating to 1800s
- CHiPS Hosts Historical Cemetery Walk
- Indiana man killed when building materials topple onto him
- Headstone in the works for Glenn Rightsell
- Lamb scores 21, Hornets topple Pacers 127-109
- Purdue women's basketball topples Illinois 70-58
- Haunted Lafayette: Pierce Cemetery
- Several tombstones knocked over at southern Indiana cemetery