WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) -- A local high school has something to be jazzed about.
The Harrison High School top jazz band has been selected as one of eight finalists in the ISSMA State Jazz Competition. The band will be playing their contest material for a panel of judges and go through a jazz workshop with a judge.
This is the second time a jazz band from Harrison has qualified as a finalist.
While hard work and a competitive mindset landed the band a spot in the finalist roster, tomorrow night's performance isn't about a score or competing at all.
Director of Bands, Steve Cotten, said he and the band feel honored to be able to represent the Greater Lafayette Area.
“Going to State contest is just an honor,” said Cotten. “There are no scores, we get some feedback, we get a clinic with a judge, and the three judges do choose an honor band, but there are no scores assigned to anybody. It's just a chance to go and play.”
Natalie Young, a senior, plays trumpet in the band. She said the performance will be a great pay off for the band’s hard work.
“It's just a really exciting experience and it's just kind of a sign that we've all worked so hard for this and I think it definitely paid off,” said Young.
Young went on to talk about the atmosphere of the band and the relationships they have with each other.
“You get to connect with so many other people, and it's kind of a community,” explained Young. “So even though it does require extra work that other kids who aren't in band don't have, you can lean on each other. Which is really cool, we're a family.”
Mr. Cotten reflected upon the year the jazz band had.
“We're at a point where we've been with this music for a long time,” said Cotten. “We've done some other music in between but it's been a great year. We've had a lot of fun together. There are always challenges and every once in a while, something cool happens like making it into state finals.”
- Harrison High School Jazz Band selected as one of eight finalists in ISSMA State Jazz Competition
- 28th Purdue Jazz Festival showcases area high school students
- Musicians perform at Purdue's Jazz On The Hill
- Vincent Edwards picked by Jazz, then traded to Rockets
- Isaac Haas invited to Utah Jazz training camp
- Pacers hit all right notes in 121-94 blowout over Jazz
- McDermott, Turner lead Pacers to 121-88 rout of Jazz
- Finalists selected for Purdue student housing projects
- Harrison High School honors walkout day differently
- Harrison High School hosts career day