LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) — After months of controversy, we now know where Nelly will be performing in Greater Lafayette. Plans were approved at the Lafayette board of works meeting Tuesday morning.
The original plan was to close Main Street from 6th Street to 8th Street for the Oct. 6 concert. That plan was tabled at last week's meeting after a business owner complained. Since then, conflicting parties have been working on a solution.
Now, the stage will be set up on 6th street. 6th street will be closed to Ferry Street and a portion of Main Street will still be blocked off to allow for exit and entry points.
Board of Works member Gary Henriott said although it has taken a while to get to this point he is happy with the progress.
"I view this as a sign of really growth and positivity and I think we have to compromise," said Henriott to those who voiced their opinion at the meeting. "You're all trying to work together, you're trying to be patient, you're trying to be good neighbors and I think that is really really positive."
Concert promoters said they are expecting at least 4,000 attendees.
The resolution was not reached without some controversy. Time was set aside for public comment and 8 people shared their opinions.
Hear those tonight on News 18 at five and six.
- Hard to believe, but here are the 'final' plans for the Nelly concert
- Nelly concert in Tippecanoe County postponed
- Concert will proceed Thursday night without Nelly
- Nelly concert rescheduled for Saturday in October
- Nelly concert scheduled for Oct. 6
- Rescheduled Lafayette Nelly concert officially cancelled
- Organizers voice concerns over security costs for Nelly concert
- Nelly to be rescheduled, concert still happening at Lafayette Theater
- What led promoters to postpone the Nelly concert
- Organizers re-working plans to bring Nelly downtown