WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) — Construction of the multi-million dollar West Lafayette Intermediate school is almost done. The doors will open for class Oct. 16.
Empty cabinets, bare bookshelves and moving boxes are a common site at Happy Hollow Elementary these days. It's a symbol of new things to come.
"I can't wait until we get them into the building and see their faces," said Happy Hollow Principal Margaret Psarros.
Soon, students will no longer walk through the doors of Happy Hollow each morning. Instead, they'll go to West Lafayette Intermediate School.
It's being met with mixed emotions.
"It's kind of sad because I'm like, used to this school," said sixth grader Elizabeth Wilcoxson.
"Going to the new school is kind of like when I went from Cumberland to Happy Hollow," explained sixth grader Nabil Snighdho. "So, I'm not really that nervous."
However, it's not without its challenges.
"They're going through a difficult year this year with the two classrooms, essentially having to be set up and ready for teaching every single day," Psarros explained.
Psarros said staff has been preparing for months, packing what they don't need and shuttling it over to the new building.
The weekend before the first day will be spent moving what's left.
"Any transition for students can be challenging for them, and we are trying our best to do the things that will make it easier for them," added Psarros.
Each class gets a two hour tour of the building before the first day. They'll also get to take their supplies to the new classrooms.
It all seems welcomed by students excited to start fresh.
"It's going to take a lot of work, but we're prepared," said Wilcoxson.
However, the transition doesn't come without the thought of what's being left behind at Happy Hollow.
"Those memories are always going to be in this building, but I look forward to making new memories too," said Psarros.
On Oct. 10, students will march in a parade from Happy Hollow to the new intermediate school building.
An open house will take place from 4 to 6 p.m. that same day. The public is welcome to come and check out the new building.
- Happy Hollow students and staff prepare for big move to new school
- Concerns arise about Happy Hollow Park sculptures
- Happy Hollow Light Project nears completion
- Happy Hollow Park revamps playground equipment
- Happy Hollow Park construction is underway
- Reconstruction to begin on Happy Hollow Park entrance
- City will allow trucks on Happy Hollow during North River Road construction
- Happy Hollow Park could be getting a new place for pooches
- Students helping students prepare for midterm elections
- Smaller towns prepare for next big snowfall