WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) -- Construction for the Happy Hollow Park revamp is underway. The West Lafayette Parks Department are working to revamp what they said is the communities most popular park.
Jon Munn, West Lafayette Parks Department Director said the playground, and shelter walkways are becoming more handicap accessible.
“West Lafayette, the city is very proud of our parks and our trails and everything and we very much understand that we need to make these things accessible for all the citizens,” said Munn.
The playground is currently above ground level with a ramp and stairs as ways to enter play piece. After construction, the playground will be completely ground level. Aside from the need for accessibility improvement, Munn said the play area pieces are also just old and worn out.
“It has lived its life span for playground equipment, we've had to make many repairs in the past couple years so we knew that it was it was time that this playground be updated,” said Munn.
Although the playground replacement is going to be the biggest change in the project, the first piece the parks department is working on is laying sidewalk down leading from the shelters to the bathroom. Currently there is no pathway.
“In order to get from the shelter, you would need to use the asphalt of the parking lot. So the new sidewalk will create a safe.. pathway if you will, from this location to the bathroom,” said Munn.
According to Munn, the shelters are popular among community members who rent the shelters to host parties and events. Munn said the addition of a sidewalk/pathway, new barbeque grills and a new drinking fountain will improve the quality of that space.
“These shelters have been in this park for many, many years, longer than 20 years.It's just gonna really clean things up and it's really gonna be a nice piece to the puzzle of all the improvements we're doing here at Happy Hollow,” said Munn.
Munn encourages people to stay patient.
“These construction projects do take some time and they do impact the parking and the accessibility for folks getting in and out of the park, so if everybody can just be patient as we get these projects underway, said Munn.
- Happy Hollow Park construction is underway
- Concerns arise about Happy Hollow Park sculptures
- Happy Hollow Park revamps playground equipment
- Happy Hollow Park Welcomes New Landmark
- Happy Hollow entrance back open
- Happy Hollow Light Project nears completion
- Reconstruction to begin on Happy Hollow Park entrance
- City will allow trucks on Happy Hollow during North River Road construction
- Fight over West Lafayette's former Happy Hollow Elementary school continues
- West Lafayette hosts ribbon-cutting ceremony for Happy Hollow Park sculptures