LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI)- This Labor Day was the sixth annual backpack give away during Hanna Fest at the Hanna Community Center.
Families received free school supplies and a very fun afternoon, hosted by the Hanna Center.
Over 300 backpacks were filled with items including notebooks, pencils and erasers for Pre-k through 12th graders.
Attendees also experienced a beer garden, food, games and a cake walk.
Executive Director of Hanna Center Heather Maddox says the event originally started as a fundraiser, but it's now evolved into a community celebration.
She expressed her appreciation to the community for all the support they've given.
"Every bit of support we get helps a lot whether it be volunteers or monetary, just people talking about us and supporting us in the community it means a lot to us," Maddox said.
Maddox said the event usually draws around 150 people each year.
- Hanna Center presents 6th annual backpack giveaway
- Hanna Center hosts annual Thanksgiving meal
- Food Finders is preparing for 6th Annual Blue Jean Ball
- Donations needed for the 6th annual Wreaths Across American
- Bethlehem Holy Healing Temple hosts 9th annual Community Easter Giveaway
- Handgun and ammo found in student's backpack
- 6th annual Recycle Saturday deemed a success despite poor weather conditions
- Arson suspected in 6th Street apartment fire
- Earhart Elementary backpack program in need of donations
- McCutcheon spell bowl team finishes 6th in state