WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) -- Ground was broken Monday afternoon on what will be a luxury bed and breakfast in West Lafayette.
The Whittaker Inn will have 15 rooms each with a theme from a different country. One of the rooms will have an Indiana theme and one will have a New York theme.
Owners Elizabeth and Andrew Whittaker have been dreaming of opening a bed and breakfast since 2012.
After working together around the country and around the world they hope to bring new experiences to the people of Greater Lafayette.
"We'll obviously have some standard American fare that people certainly like but we will also do some situations as well to challenge some people's pallets with different cuisines from around the world as well," said Andrew.
Being Purdue alumni themselves, the Whittakers plan on giving Purdue Hospitality and Tourism Management students internship opportunities.
They hope the inn will be a place not only for visitors from out of town, but people in the community as well.
"If somebody's celebrating a birthday or somebody wants to have a bridal shower or baby shower they can come and we want it to be a place where people will come and make memories," said Elizabeth.
The Whittaker Inn is expected to open in January 2019.
- Groundbreaking ceremony held for the Whittaker Inn
- Whittaker Inn celebrates grand opening with ribbon cutting
- Purdue held its 'Teacher Pinning Education Ceremony'
- Former Days Inn finally demolished
- Former Days Inn demoltion finally begins
- Community invited to LTHC groundbreaking celebration
- Plans moving ahead for bed and breakfast style inn
- Judge orders demolition of former Days Inn in Battle Ground
- Vietnam veterans honored with special ceremony
- Commissioning ceremony set for 4th USS Indiana