LAFAYETTE Ind. (WLFI)-The greater Lafayette Honor Flight is coming back. The organization announced that in 2020 honor flights will resume, however they could still use some help from the public to get the flights in the air.
With several veterans still wanting to take the flight in our local area, a new board wanted to make sure those individuals were honored.
"There are still veterans, first and foremost, that want to take the flight,” says Cyle Newton the President of the Board. “That was our main motivation. As long as there are still veterans that want to take the flight we felt there should be a local organization that would help them get there."
Without support from the community, those involved say this wouldn't have been possible. Which is something the city officials are proud of.
"Your sacrifice is not forgotten,” says Mayor Tony Roswarski. “We want them to know that what they did for us, and what you continue to do we value, we respect you, and we want you to know that. That's the kind of community Lafayette, West Lafayette and Tippecanoe county is people are willing to help out and I think it will be very successful."
The organization has raised about 40% of what they need to get an honor up in the air. They are hoping to put a deposit down on a flight in October. The plan is to have an honor flight in the air by May of 2020. The Greater Lafayette Honor Flight is in need of donations and volunteers to make this possible. If you would like to donate or volunteer your time you can do so by visiting their website.
- Greater Lafayette Honor Flights Will Resume
- The Greater Lafayette honor flight comes home
- Photo Gallery: Final Greater Lafayette Honor Flight
- The final landing of the Greater Lafayette Honor Flight
- The Veterans Honor Flight is coming back to Greater Lafayette
- Greater Lafayette Honor Flight takes off one final time
- Greater Lafayette's growing pains
- The 19th Greater Lafayette Honor Flight is heading to our nation's capital
- The Greater Lafayette Honor Flight will take off for the last time in 2018
- Greater Lafayette Honor Flight takes veterans to the nation's capital and back