INDIANAPOLIS (WLFI) — Indiana Gov. Eric Holcomb announced Thursday all K-12 public and non-public schools will remain closed until May 1 amid the coronavirus outbreak.
The date may be revised to extend through the end of the 2019-2020 school year "if circumstances warrant."
"We may have to close permanently," said Holcomb. "We will make that call down the road."
Holcomb also announced all state mandated assessments are canceled for the current academic year.
"If we get students back this year, we will use that time for instruction," said Holcomb.
The governor also asked Superintendent of Public Instruction Dr. Jennifer McCormick to pursue any federal waivers needed to cancel the requirements for accountability, chronic absenteeism and state-mandated assessments.
McCormick said new guidelines will be coming regarding graduating seniors.
"Our goal is to make sure we graduate seniors," said McCormick.
Lafayette, West Lafayette and Tippecanoe schools had previously announced their buildings would be closed starting March 16 and through spring break.
The governor also announced the current state of emergency will be expanded an additional 30 days when it expires on April 5.
There were 56 total cases of coronavirus in the state as of Thursday, including within Tippecanoe County.