LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) — If you've driven down Sagamore Parkway at night, you have probably seen the colorful lights along the road.
You also may have noticed they don't all work.
City Engineer Jeromy Grenard said they're working on it, adding the lights themselves aren't the problem.
"The lights have been on ever since they were installed, it's the LED light tube component that we are having some difficulties with," Grenard said.
In the process of replacing some of those components, contractors have come across another issue. They have found mice are attracted the insulation used on the wiring. Workers have found multiple mice nests in the fixtures as well as several chewed wires.
"We're having a shroud made for the bottom of each of the light poles and those will be installed here soon and grouted closed so we get rid of the mice," said Grenard.
He added the city is being cautious about spending during the process as well.
"As far as the amount of money that we are spending toward those lights, we are holding back some of that until they are fully operational."
Right now, you'll notice the lights are purple most of the time. The purple is a testing color because it is one of the easiest for workers to see. Grenard said once all of the lights work the way they are supposed to, the colors will only change occasionally.
"We may have them rest in either blue or white all the time and then for special events change the colors for just that special event," said Grenard.
Some work on the lights was supposed to happen Monday, it was postponed due to weather.
- Getting to the bottom of the Sagamore Parkway lights
- Lafayette to work out Sagamore Parkway lighting kinks
- Sagamore Parkway Bridge closures begin today
- Construction delays expected on Sagamore Parkway
- Sagamore Parkway will have overnight closures
- Sagamore Parkway overnight closures happening Thursday night
- Overnight Sagamore Parkway closures starting Wednesday
- Overnight closures on Sagamore Parkway beginning Wednesday
- Series of closures on Sagamore Parkway Bridge to happen Tuesday
- All 4 lanes of Sagamore Parkway now open