WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) - The local Wreaths Across America group is getting ready to honor our fallen heroes this holiday season. Every year, wreaths are placed on cemeteries across the country and even in Europe.
Wreaths will be placed at the Indiana Veteran's Home in West Lafayette on December 14th. The ceremony will begin at noon. This is the seventh year of doing this event. Volunteers will be able to place a wreath on every gravestone in the cemetery.
Dana Vann is the location coordinator for the local Wreaths Across America initiative and is a Lafayette Gold Star Mother. She said this is more than just a holiday gesture.
"They are remembrance wreaths and when those are placed on December 14th out here, every name in this cemetery will be set," she said "It's really important as part of our mission to remember them."
She said she has a special connection to this cause.
"My son's buried at Arlington and that was my first connection with Wreaths Across America," she said. "I went out there and placed the wreaths and I thought it would be a special thing to bring back to Lafayette."
Vann said they are still fundraising for anyone who would like to help. They are especially looking for sponsors. She said it's important that people order wreaths through Lafayette Gold Star Mothers, because for every two wreaths bought, they get a third free.
Click here to make a donation and sign up to volunteer, or send money directly to Vann below.
745 Wexford Dr.
Lafayette, IN 47905
- Getting ready for seventh annual Wreaths Across America event at IVH
- Wreaths Across America event held at the Indiana Veterans Home
- Wreaths Across America in West Lafayette
- Donations being collected to honor veterans for Wreaths Across America
- Wreaths Across America calls on community for help
- Donations needed for the 6th annual Wreaths Across American
- Community remembers fallen soldiers and vets at "Wreaths Across America" ceremony
- Wabash Riverfest Kicks off 18th Annual Event
- Bill to add seventh superior court in Tippecanoe County passes state Senate
- Fiers wins seventh straight as A’s top White Sox 5-1