GREATER LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) — Women are making their mark in Greater Lafayette and YWCA is recognizing it. The organization is hosting its 47th annual Salute to Women ceremony in March.
Julie Pope is one woman nominated this year, she lives a multi-faceted life in Greater Lafayette with a goal of helping as many people as possible.
“We can not leave this planet, I mean, what's the purpose of us living here if you don't leave something behind to help the next group,” said Pope.
Along with countless hours of volunteering in the community, Pope is the founder of Cover Lafayette, Dickens of a Christmas and Halloweentown. All events created to provide free resources and fun for families.
“Everybody needs help, I just kind of gravitate to where the issue is at the time,” said Pope.
Pope said her passion for people comes from a career working in the funeral business as an End of Life Counselor. She said when dealing with people who are dying, you learn how to live.
“You have a whole new appreciation for what happens before, during, and after and you understand what regret is more than anything,” said Pope. “That's what I really try to do is eliminate regret wherever I see it.”
Pope is also behind the national award-winning BONZ Barbecue Sauce. She uses it as a tool to teach people about the importance of using their time on earth wisely and she puts profits from her sales back into the free events she hosts for the community.
“It's just kind of a way to give back to Lafayette for buying it all year long,” said Pope. “It's just such a beautiful community I don't think people realize how fortunate we are to be in a place where so many people with like hearts want to help each other,” said Pope.
The YWCA will recognize the largest group of women at this year's Salute to Women ceremony. It'll be held on Tuesday, Mar. 3 at the Trails Banquet Facility in Lafayette.
- Julie Pope making great impact in Greater Lafayette
- Greater Lafayette's growing pains
- List of the Greater Lafayette 2019 4th of July celebrations
- New low-cost spay neuter clinic to impact Greater Lafayette
- Bird scooters invade Greater Lafayette
- Greater Lafayette remembers Pearl Harbor
- Greater Lafayette's hidden musical gem
- Robotics Camp For Greater Lafayette
- The Great American Coin Hunt to start in Greater Lafayette this week
- Frost Advisory issued for Greater Lafayette