LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) — One person has been hospitalized after a possible natural gas explosion in the Waterford Courts apartment complex. According to John Eds, a detective with Tippecanoe Sheriffs Department, one female was injured and taken to a hospital in Lafayette and then later transferred to a hospital in Indianapolis.
Detective Eds said while they do not have a cause at this point, the initial investigation is leading to a natural gas explosion. Eds said all evidence collected at the scene will be sent off for analysis but it could be several months before they have the details of the cause.
Red Cross was on scene to help those displaced by the explosion. Gas to the building is currently still turned off and those residents are awaiting a decision from the gas company and apartment management when it is ok to return to the building.
WLFI will update the story as more information becomes available.