TIPPECANOE COUNTY, Ind. (WLFI)—Health officials are reminding people the dangers of frostbite.
In temperatures like today you can get frostbite in as little as 30 mintues. Doctors say you can also get frostbite with gloves and a hat on if you're not properly layered.
They say notice for skin that feels numb, unusually firm or waxy and discoloration. Physician Assistant for Franciscan Health Calin Ostler said it's important to know the signs of frostbite and catching it before it gets serious.
"If someone recognizes hey it looks like you are getting really red they might want you to come inside and they might educate you or tell you hey you should probably get inside out of the cold," said Ostler.
Ostler said the most common areas prone to getting frostbite are nose, ears, fingers and toes.
Click here for more information on frostbite, how you can prevent it and what to do if you or someone else gets frostbite.
- Frigid temperatures raise the chances of frostbite
- Fire Department prepares for frigid temperatures
- Frigid temperatures result in more potholes
- Frigid temperatures causing low humming noise across the area
- Cold weather increasing risk for frostbite
- Bitter temperatures with a chance for snow
- Lafayette Transitional Housing Center extends Homeless Services hours due to frigid temperatures
- 'Coldest air in a generation' hits the Midwest. Officials warn of almost instant frostbite
- Falling temperatures for Tuesday
- Falling temperatures this week