FRANKFORT, Ind. (WLFI) — A Frankfort woman will serve 3 years in prision.
20 year-old Makayla Wood pleaded guilty to killing 69 year-old Kathy Camp while driving intoxicated.
Two statements were given at the sentencing, one from Kathy Camp's sister and the other, from her best friend since 1st grade.
Both women addressed Makayla Wood directly and let her know while they don't forgive her, they know Camp did the moment she died. They said that is just the kind of person she was.
On October 24, Frankfort police were called to Main and Morrison streets. According to court documents, first responders noticed Wood appeared to be under the influence.
Toxicology results indicated she had drugs in her system, including cocaine. Wood was driving a stolen car when she hit Camp.
Camp was taken to a hospital and later died from her injuries.
During the statements, Wood sympathized with Camp's loved ones. She listened respectfully and cried with them.
It was also stated Wood is pregnant and will deliver her baby in prison.
Camp's best friend says she hopes Wood gets the help she needs for her unborn child's sake.
"Like I said in my statement, I hope that child is raised to be as good as loving and caring person as Kathy was," said Nancy Elsea.
Wood said she has no recollection of the accident at all, however she does remember taking a Tramadol that day.
After Wood was taken into custody, she was examined for mental health issues. She was diagnosed with bi-polar schizophrenia.
Wood is receiving treatment for her mental health and will continue to do so throughout her sentencing.
- Frankfort woman sentenced for involvement in fatal crash
- Frankfort woman gets 45 year murder sentence
- Frankfort woman graduates college after car crash
- Frankfort woman to be sentenced for murder of aunt
- Names of those involved in fatal plane crash released
- Woman sentenced for involvement in March 2 Lafayette homicide
- Police investigating car crash in Frankfort
- Woman sentenced for fatal shooting at Fort Wayne motel
- Frankfort police searching for missing woman, her 3 children
- Woman sentenced in Speedway robbery