CLINTON COUNTY, Ind. (WLFI) — Frankfort police are investigating a shooting that occurred late Tuesday evening.
Police say 37-year-old Kevin Huffer of Frankfort was shot and killed inside an apartment on Bunnell Street. According to police, the man responsible says it was in self-defense.
Police were called to the apartment around 10 o'clock for a reported shooting.
Investigators say the shooter told them Huffer was trying to get into the apartment. He said Huffer tried to attack him and that's why he shot.
Terry Mayfield lives around the corner from the apartment. Mayfield says he doesn't think he could ever shoot someone, but does not blame the man for protecting himself.
He said, "If the intruder was in your house, and you were threatened, I could see someone doing something like that."
Police have not said whether the shooter knew Huffer or why he would have been trying to get into the apartment. It's still under investigation.
But police say the case will be forwarded to the Clinton County prosecutor to see if any criminal charges need to be filed.
A lot of people in this neighborhood are still in disbelief about what happened here.
Agencies that responded to the scene include the Frankfort Police Department, the Clinton County Sheriff’s Office, the Frankfort Fire Department, the Clinton County EMS, the Clinton County Coroner and Indiana State Police.
News 18 will have more on this tonight at six.
- Frankfort police investigate shooting Tuesday evening
- Police investigating car crash in Frankfort
- New Investigation Drug Unit Starts in Frankfort
- Blog Posts Resume Tuesday Evening
- Frankfort police looking into new phone scam
- Frankfort investigation into park funds leads to firing
- Investigators release findings on cause of Frankfort recycling plant fire
- Police investigate shooting in Tippecanoe County
- Lafayette police investigate shooting at Romney Meadows
- Lafayette police investigating early morning shooting