CLINTON COUNTY, Ind. (WLFI) — Two Frankfort police officers were awarded today for going above and beyond in the line of duty.
Officers Kaleb Thompson and Tyyon Neal gave one Frankfort man a second chance at life.
Officers from the Frankfort police department gathered to honor the two officers.
Officers Thompson and Neal responded to a call of a suicidal Frankfort man in the early morning hours of Aug. 8.
After a short search, officer Thompson spotted the man attempting to hang himself through the window of a garage.
He then broke down the door and lifted the man allowing officer Neal to remove the noose from the man's neck.
At the time, Officer Neal was just a recruit and says he was just displaying one of the many traits of a good officer.
"There's not thinking just reaction. You have to care about the community that you work for and everybody around here. If you don't have any care about your fellow man then you can't work in this field for too long or too well," said Neal.
"I think everyone on the department is the same way. I think me and him were just the lucky recipients at the time to be able to save this person's life. You know and I don't think anybody else on our department would have acted differently. They would have tried everything in their power to make sure that sure that he was alive at the end of the day," said Thompson.
Officer Thompson also said that without the help of the rest of his dispatcher and other emergency service personnel on the scene the outcome could have been much worse.
Both officers say that the Frankfort police department has given them a solid foundation to be ready for any situation they respond to.
Thompson and Neal were awarded today at a small ceremony in front of friends and family.
- Frankfort officers honored after saving man's life
- TCCC officers recognized for saving a life
- Frankfort road renaming honors former mayor
- Frankfort to Host Fallen Officer Blood Drive
- Man reunites with nurse who saved his life
- Frankfort man wins $1M off scratch-off
- 6 neighbors recognized for saving a life
- Newly retired Frankfort Police Officer is fighting ALS
- Storms cause damage in Frankfort
- Frankfort holiday trash collection schedule