FRANKFORT, Ind. (WLFI) — The Frankfort community has come together to help the family involved in a fatal Frankfort fire. Faith Family Church has been overwhelmed with donations since Monday. Frankfort Fire Chief John Kirby said this was a tough fire to fight.
“The house was fully involved so, at that point in time, it made it difficult for us to get in and do a search and rescue without extinguishing some of the fire and cooling down some of the fire,” said Kirby.
Chief Kirby said firefighters were met with many challenges at the home.
“It had been under construction it looked like and they said it was pretty chopped up as far as the different rooms being added on and things of that nature and I think that's where the difficulty was,” said Kirby.
Investigators confirm this fire started from a space heater in the baby's room. Chief Kirby said this is the second leading cause of house fires after cooking-related incidents. Unfortunately, this home didn't have smoke detectors installed.
“Would it have made a difference, we'll never know but a smoke detector obviously is meant to give you an alert to alert you there is a possible fire in your house and getting that alerts you maybe the extra few minutes to get out of your house,” said Kirby.
This fire was ruled accidental. The family is seeing much support from the community.
“I always tell people, they ask how do you see God in this and this is how we've seen God in this just so many people just coming to us, many people we don't know saying how can we help, coming alongside the family it has been overwhelming,” said Sanders.
Faith Family Church Pastor Mark Sanders said donations have been pouring in. Enough so they've had to cut off item donations and only collect money for the family as they seek permanent housing.
“They have nothing so it's basically starting all over for them,” said Sanders. “There's going to be a funeral over the next couple days and in these situations things get harder before they get easier.”
Kirby said the fire department will provide free smoke detectors to any home that needs one. for residents that don’t have detectors installed, you can reach out to the fire station at 765-654-4329.